This week I wrote some exciting (for me) code. Last weekend, while playing with gstreamer, I had this crazy idea to write gstreamer bindings for Qt. So, I started writing it for fun, outside the scope of kcall. It took me about one day to write something usable and I was really excited. Then, I remembered that some days ago, bradh in irc had told me that it would be possible to use solid to autodetect audio/video devices for gstreamer. Being excited with the bindings, I thought about making one library with the 1-1 gstreamer-Qt bindings and one extra library with extra stuff, like device autodetection using solid. So, I started writing this new library as well. I developed those two libraries for about 4 days and I reached a point where they were usable for the purposes of kcall. So, I merged them in kcall and rewrote the part of kcall that handles audio/video streaming to use them. At that point, I also wrote a small telepathy-farsight Qt wrapper (libqtpfarsight), mostly to provide a sane API for it (as the original telepathy-farsight API is really bad) and not to get rid of GObject stuff, but eventually I achieved both. So, now the core kcall code uses only Qt, the GObject ugliness is hidden in the libQtGstreamer and the libqtpfarsight libraries and I have device autodetection using solid I think that was worth the effort, although it doesn’t offer any significant functionality to kcall.
And to add to my excitement, there was already interest for my bindings by one guy who is writing a plasmoid that uses a webcam to take photos. He couldn’t use phonon because phonon has no support for video input (yet?), so he started writing it with gstreamer and so he was interested about my work, which he already has started to use. I’m really happy to see my work becoming useful for others
Today I spent my day doing debugging, trying to understand why kcall does not receive correctly video from the remote end. I still haven’t reached the answer and I’m really disappointed because everything in the code and the gstreamer logs looks perfect.
Sending video is not implemented yet, but with the code as it is now, it is a matter of about 10-20 lines of code to add support for it. I will definitely do this in the following days, possibly tomorrow. I am also going to write a KCM for configuring device preferences, which is mostly done, as the library I mentioned above with the extra stuff that sit on top of QtGstreamer, already has a DeviceChooser widget, which can be used for selecting devices and has also support for saving and loading the selected device using KConfig Next weekend this will hopefully be over, and I hope I will also have solved the strange bug regarding receiving video.
The only thing that makes me sad now is that this week of coding essentially sent to the trash the code I wrote two weeks ago, which took me some time to write, but at least I know it was self-educating.